This site is a home for results-driven marketers who want become sought after for what makes them, and the organizations they serve, unique.
I’m Brendan Dell. I’m an award-winning messaging strategist and copywriter.
The purpose of this site is to share a view from the front lines – experiences from my work partnering with organizations of all shapes and sizes – from start-ups to the Fortune 100.
We focus on four core themes: differentiation strategies, optimizing customer attraction systems, stewarding change and proving the value of your contributions.
To join other top marketers, executives and entrepreneurs – Subscribe to the Market of One Report.
You can also learn more about my Private Client Services.
“The job isn’t to catch up to the status quo; the job is to invent the status quo.” Seth Godin
The writing on this site is informed by a few key principles.
- Becoming a Market of One is now a business imperative.The race for faster, cheaper or “better” is an unwinnable quest. Features and benefits aren’t enough. The world is just too crowded and noisy. The key is to be different – the foregone choice for a key group that believes only you are right for them.
- Trust is now the scarcest currency.Too many companies, too many promises, means we no longer believe what we hear. Even when it’s true. Trust is what you must earn, before the sales conversation starts. This means affecting belief by providing a special kind of value in your marketing.
- Inertia is what we’re fighting against.It’s always easier to do nothing than to take an action, especially at work where fear of making a mistake is the #1 fear (even above getting fired what we fear are mistakes – research has proven this). This means you must convince your prospects that action is critical if they are to get where they hope to go.
- Story is the key differentiator.Instilling this belief happens through stories. You must find the right story to tell, and tell it in a way that feels authentic. This is the key to earning trust, and becoming the foregone choice for the right group.
- Strategy comes before tactics.Which is why before we rush to push Send, or create more content, we must figure out why. What is the story we are telling, who is it for, and how can I provide enough value to earn their trust and be remembered?
- Focus on critical few over the trivial many.More channels, more options, more pressure to perform means the hamster wheel. Create, promote, jump to the next shiny tactic or channel, cross your fingers that sales come and then repeat. This is not the way to earn trust. To build your Tribe. Intense focus on the few critical activities, on building your customer attraction systems, is how we become sought after for what makes us unique.
Brendan Dell is an award-winning messaging strategist and copywriter. He works with a diverse set of organizations – from start-ups to the Fortune 100 – to transform them into a Market of One.
He does this by identifying what is unique and irreplicable about an organization – and what the market wants or needs most. They then create content to amplify this differentiation to the world.
Clients past and present include top brands and agencies including Nuance, McGraw Hill, CrowdCompass by Cvent, Healthsparq, Windstream, Unisys, Panasonic, SAP, Act-On Software, Boomerang Commerce, Response Capture, Babcock and Jenkins and more.
His works has generated tens of millions in sales opportunities as well as tens of thousands of qualified leads.
He has helped his clients time and again best their own internal benchmarks – breaking records and earning recognition for their work. Recognition not only from their internal teams, but also from organizations such as The Content Marketing Institute, The Davey Awards, The American Marketing Association and more.
He’s fearless and generates big ideas. What makes him unique, however, is how he’s then able to transform ideas into compelling stories and create tangible assets that generate meaningful and lasting impact.
I love working with him because he knows his best practices, and beyond the tactical, he has the rare gift of empathy, which affords him an atypical ability to imagine himself in the shoes of the audience, refine his ideas and make them come-to-life in a way that creates true resonance.”
Bill Kent, Senior Product Marketing Manager – Act-On Software