The company story is the company strategy.”
Ben Horowitz, Partner and Co-Founder, Andreessen Horowitz
Nearly every start-up, with rare exception, can and should be acquiring customers faster and at less cost.
Nearly every founder I have worked with is brilliant in his or her own right (usually far smarter than I).
But the view from the inside is cloudy. The lens overwhelmed by potential opportunities, ideas, competing priorities, and beyond.
In the Start-Up Accelerator, I partner with disruptive emerging food and technology companies to help avoid the stumbling blocks common to early-stage companies:
- Lack of clarity in messaging
- Misuse of marketing dollars (cough: social media)
- Failure to correctly prioritize and drive sales activities
- Failure to view their business the way investors will
Together we’ll work through a proven process to overcome these challenges. The steps are simple, the execution more difficult:
- Develop the story of your brand. Get clarity on your message and value and you’ll multiply growth.
- Supercharge sales and marketing. Identify the 80/20–the activities that are worth the time and effort, put the right vendors in place, and optimize their campaigns.
- Prepare you to raise capital. We’ll review the business through an investors lens and shore up your investment story. We’ll also work together to hone your pitch deck.
While I do not have a crystal ball, or all the answers, what I do have is proven strategic lens that will help to accelerate success.
During the early stages of the start-up we work to cement the model and accelerate growth.
- Market. Addressable market & product/market fit
- Strategic Story. Positioning the business as a must-have versus nice-to-have.
- Your Business Through an Investors Lens. Positioning you to raise capital.
- Optimal Investor Profile and Presentation. Harness the power of strategic stories to help raise capital.
- Early Partner Identification and Sales Strategies. Get MVP feedback and drive early sales.
- Meeting preparation. Be ready when it matters.
As the the company gains traction we work to cement the go-to-market and build out high-velocity sales and marketing programs.
- Detailed Sales and Marketing Strategy. Develop strategies that drive fast growth. Growth comes from experimentation. We’ll experiment and learn rapidly.
- Strategic Story Optimization. Learning from market response, we optimize the Strategic Story and use it align and power cross-functional teams.
- PR Frameworks. Brands are built in the media, not through advertising. Develop plans to drive coverage.
- Messaging Optimization. Optimize channel-specific messages to maximize responses.
- Growth Hacking. Identify ways to build growth into your product and drive virality/the network effect.
- Channel & Partner Strategy. Where appropriate, identify channel and partner sales and marketing strategies.
In the growth stage we work to cement and optimize repeatable sales and marketing systems, and further the prepare the business to for growth/fundraising/exit (depending upon the opportunity and founder goals).
- Ongoing Coaching. Internalize success and align cross-functional teams around your strategic.
- Messaging and Sales Optimization. Optimize key strategies and tactical executions.
- Scalable System Development. Design and implement processes and systems that will thrive as you scale.
- Monthly strategy review. Review the organizational strategy and serve as a strategic sounding board.